No idea what brought it on. I was fine, I was minding my own business, I was just going to have a normal day. Then this asshole of an elephant came to take up residence on my chest.
It feels like my heart cannot get a full beat, it feels like my lungs are in a vice and that there is a giant glass marble in my throat. My eyes burn with the insistence of the tears welling up inside them and start darting around, looking for any clue of a trigger or instigator. There is nothing. I can’t speak to ask for help, I can’t breath enough to even get the words out. I am suffocating and may eventually die.
That is what an anxiety attack can feel like. For those that have had one, you know how it is. Like you are having a heart attack underwater. It is awful and can literally come on from absolutely nothing. So, what do you do when this starts to happen?
Lately, I have been using a new app called Calm. It has guided deep breathing, guided meditations, nature sounds, and sleep stories. I can listen to rain, birds signing, waves crashing, or a campfire crackling.
I have mostly been using the guided breathing though during anxiety attacks. When I feel one coming on, I turn on the app. It is amazing what watching a little spinning circle and concentrating on breath can do, if you have the tools to do it. You can use it anywhere because its on your phone and you can do it with or without the noise, so it won’t disturb others around you.
Now that I have shared a new tool, what do you do to combat an anxiety attack? It there an exercise or meditation that is your favorite for pushing that elephant off your chest?
Chili Rubbed Steak with Cilantro Chimichurri Sauce
1 flank or sirloin steak (about 1 lbs)
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp seasoned salt
- 1 tsp ground Ancho chili
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 3 tsp cumin
- 1 ts Mrs. Dash Extra Spicy
1 handful of fresh cliantro
1/2 lemon juiced
1 handful fresh parsley
1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
3 tbsp olive or avocado oil
salt and pepper to taste
- 2-3 hours before dinner: Rub steak with seasoning (all over and heavily) set in refrigerator.
- 20-30 minutes before dinner: Set steak on counter to bring to room temp & start coals
- Grill steak
- While steak is grilling: throw all Chimichurri ingredients into a blender or food processor, blend until smooth (you can add a few tbsp of water if too thick; should be similar to a pesto)
- Take steak off grill and tent with aluminum foil and let rest AT LEAST 5 minutes
- Slice steak and serve with sauce either on or on the side. Great paired with some roasted vegetables, potatoes and a side salad.