There are certain weeks I love having a bunch of empty boxes on the calendar. Then again, there are times that I am so excited by the words in those boxes just thinking them seems to be a wicked spell that slows time to a halt, making the wait almost unbearable!
Those words are as follows: “GIRL’S NIGHT!”
When I make a plan with girlfriends, I always put “Girl’s Night – then the plan”. For example, this past weekend it was “Girl’s Night – Historic House Tour” (which may sound totally fuddy duddy but it was amazing and we had so much fun! It will definitely be a bi-annual tradition). Another one from last weekend was, “Girl’s Night – Next Door Zumba Party” which was not a girls only thing but instead my neighbor’s amazingly creative way to gather people together and raise money for her Alzheimer’s walk (yeah Judy’s Crew). However, since I am excited for it and because it will be mostly the girls out there doing Zumba, it deserves the label.
Now, don’t get me wrong, I love the Hubs! We love doing just about anything together and usually prefer each other’s company but when there is a “Girl’s Night – …” on the calendar I light up. I think it is because time with girlfriends is different.
Their time is much like mine. Like a sacred treasure that is often spent too soon and difficult to find more of. My girlfriends have children of all ages, have multiple jobs, and have family obligations to fulfill. So, when we schedule something, sometimes MONTHS in advance, it means it is some time to forget all those other things. It is time to compare notes, get tips, and breath a sigh of relief that no one person needs us at this very moment.
There are so many unique things you can do with your friends. Your city, just like mine, has places to visit or special occasions that those wonderful girlfriends would love to try. One thing I do, is create a bucket list. I write all the things I want to try and then I let my girlfriends know about it. Some of them say, “I have always wanted to try that too!” and some say, “I would never!”. For example, I wanted to get a bikini wax. This is not something I would normally do, but have always been curious. So, I asked my group of girls and sure enough one jumped at the chance. So, while we cursed each other with every rip, we also laughed so hard we cried! P.S. This is probably not something I will do again, ouch!
Some of the other things on the list are:
- Eggs and Drag – Sunday brunch drag show at the 90s
- Haunted places bus tour
- Cabin rental @ Outer Banks – North Carolina
- Pottery class
- Door County Wisconsin B & B
- Laser Hair Removal
- Harvesting grapes at a winery
Check out this Minnesota Monthly article for more ideas or check out your state’s local events.
What do you do with your girlfriends? Who are those special people that you look forward to spending time with? What crazy new adventure are you all up to?
Easy Danish Recipe (perfect for a spur of the moment brunch with the girls)
1 Box puff pastry
1 8oz pkg cream cheese
1/4 cup powdered sugar
dash of vanilla or other extracts
All fruit jam, lemon curd, Nutella, etc
1/2 cup powdered sugar
2-4 tbsp milk
dash of vanilla
- Mix together cream cheese & powdered sugar & flavored extract – set aside
- Cut each puff pastry sheet into 9 squares
- Place on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper
- Score a smaller square in
side each of the 9 squares (scoring is cutting a line in but not through the pastry)
- Next dock the inside of each inner square (docking is just taking a fork and poking holes)
- Fill each little square with a mix of the cream cheese and the different fruit spreads. About 1 large tablespoon total.
- Bake @ 425 for 10-12 minutes
- While baking mix the icing. That’s the powdered sugar, milk & vanilla. You want a loose drizzle.
- Once out of the oven drizzle with icing and let cool. Store in airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.